This delicious Chicken Casserole is a perfect choice for an Autumn meal. It’s a wonderful combination of the beautiful aroma, the delicious sauce, and the succulent, fall-off-the-bone chicken. But it’s easier to simply say that this is a family favorite for the past 20+ years.
Give it a go – this amazing chicken casserole wont disappoint you.
Like chicken? Also try our One Pot Chicken Chilli, Gentse waterzooi: Belgian chunky chicken stew or the famous Quick Kashmiri Chicken Curry – a homemade treat.
Hearty Chicken Casserole, Burgundy
- 1 kg chicken thighs skin on
- 15 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 250 g brown mushrooms sliced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 30 g plain flour
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 100 ml red wine
- 15 g tomato paste
- 2 g sugar
- 5 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 12 baby onions peeled
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and fry the chicken skin-side down. Place it skin-side up in an ovenproof baking dish.
- Salt and smoked paprika should be added to the chicken. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Once the chicken is in the making, prepare the sauce by adding the onion to the pan drippings. Saute until soft. Stir fry the mushrooms, thyme, and some oil until they are soft.
- Stir in the flour, then add the red wine, the chicken stock, tomato paste, sugar and salt. Add the Worcestershire sauce and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove any fat from the baking pan.
- Add the sauce to the chicken evenly and add the onions.
- Cover again and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Susanne Queck, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.