On a hot summer day there is nothing more refreshing than a nice cold cucumber soup. It is ready in no time at all, inexpensive and does not stress your stomach. With our recipe for cold cucumber soup you can conjure up a light, yet hearty meal in no time .
Traditional German recipe for hot days
Cold cucumber soup has a long tradition and is common in countries with hot weather. It is eaten as a main course with prawns or fish or as a side dish or starter. I personally eat cold cucumber soup several times a day on particularly hot days, simply like that. Together with a nice crispy baguette and many herbs it becomes a delicacy that doesn’t need to be hidden away beneath other dishes!
Which cucumbers can I use?
Traditionally, cold cucumber soup is made from long, green cucumbers. These are long, dark green and quite voluminous. In other countries green cucumbers can be small and round or even ball-shaped. The taste is the same everywhere.
When buying cucumbers, pay attention to a rich, healthy colour of the cucumber skin and also test the endings. Cucumbers that already have muddy tips have been stored for too long and are no longer fresh.
Spices and herbs for our cucumber soup
In general, you can add anything from your herb garden that you like and enjoy. However, green cucumber harmonizes particularly well with the following herbs:
- Mint (fresh)
- Coriander (leaves, fresh)
Preparation is very simple and takes only a few minutes.
For a particularly fine consistency, you can either use a hand blender or a blender, or simply grate the cucumber with a cheese grater for a slightly rougher version. Use the largest hole size on a square grater.
Enjoy our recipe for cold cucumber soup and feedback on how you liked it.
Cold cucumber soup – ideal for a hot Summer
- Big bowl
- 2 large cucumbers 20 cms or 20 small green cucumbers
- 3 ½ cups plain yoghurt
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp dill finely chopped
- Wash the cucumbers and peel as needed. You can also leave the cucumber peel on, without peel the cucumber soup becomes lighter and smoother.
- Grate the cucumber in either slim slices or rough pieces with the medium sized grater hole size.
- Grate the garlic well and mix well with the yogurt, the herbs, the lemon juice and the remaining spices.
- Add the cucumber to the yogurt mixture and blend everything gently with a blender. Alternatively, you can simply add the grated cucumber to the yogurt mixture and you're done.
Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste.
Image credits: Unless otherwise stated: ©Susanne Queck, ©Pro Stock Media via Canva.com or ©Unsplash.com. As an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. The links marked with an asterisk (*) are so-called commission links. If you click on one of these links and make a purchase, I receive a commission from your purchase. This income helps us to run this website and to provide our recipes free of charge. The price does not change for you.